America works from the bottom-up, not the top-down
Said a commenter at Eschaton: "I am advising the Democratic Party, that if you think you can ignore 70% of the people, you're wrong. I will tell my Democratic legislators to vote against any bill without a public option."
My response:
I did this like a month ago with my Senator and U.S. Representative. "I will vote for one of your Democratic challengers in the Primary, if you vote *for* a bill *without* a Public Option."
See, I was all mad at Obama when he seemed to be equivocating about supporting the Public Option. I wrote a few angry emails to him, in fact. But then I listened to one of his weekly radio addresses, and he clearly stated that We the People need to convince Congress to send the President a bill with the Public Option in it.
It's up to *us* to tell Congress to cut out the bullshit and do what we elected them to do. America is supposed to operate from the bottom-up, not the top-down.
If we really believe in this legislation - or *any* legislation, and if we believe in America, then we need to instruct our representatives in Washington what it is that we want them to do with our resources, blood, and treasure.
Sadly, our representatives are currently enamored of their campaign-coffer-fillers, and have little desire to do what we the constituency want. But that should change, if we Primary their asses.
And a reply: "I'm not taking the blame for Obama not twisting arms for a public option. He wanted to be the goddam leader. Fuck it up and the whole party will pay, and rightly so."
And my response:
It is true that he seems to have decided to bow to Harry Reid and let him and the Senate "take care of it", and to leak equivocating statements through Rahm. I suspect Reid is a lost cause, and Obama doesn't want to elbow him aside.
I just wonder if Obama is still ultra-cautious about being seen as an "angry black man", and just tries to play it real cool. Too cool.
But still, I doubt he vetoes a bill without the Public Option. It's up to us to put that piece of paper under his pen. Sorry!
My response:
I did this like a month ago with my Senator and U.S. Representative. "I will vote for one of your Democratic challengers in the Primary, if you vote *for* a bill *without* a Public Option."
See, I was all mad at Obama when he seemed to be equivocating about supporting the Public Option. I wrote a few angry emails to him, in fact. But then I listened to one of his weekly radio addresses, and he clearly stated that We the People need to convince Congress to send the President a bill with the Public Option in it.
It's up to *us* to tell Congress to cut out the bullshit and do what we elected them to do. America is supposed to operate from the bottom-up, not the top-down.
If we really believe in this legislation - or *any* legislation, and if we believe in America, then we need to instruct our representatives in Washington what it is that we want them to do with our resources, blood, and treasure.
Sadly, our representatives are currently enamored of their campaign-coffer-fillers, and have little desire to do what we the constituency want. But that should change, if we Primary their asses.
And a reply: "I'm not taking the blame for Obama not twisting arms for a public option. He wanted to be the goddam leader. Fuck it up and the whole party will pay, and rightly so."
And my response:
It is true that he seems to have decided to bow to Harry Reid and let him and the Senate "take care of it", and to leak equivocating statements through Rahm. I suspect Reid is a lost cause, and Obama doesn't want to elbow him aside.
I just wonder if Obama is still ultra-cautious about being seen as an "angry black man", and just tries to play it real cool. Too cool.
But still, I doubt he vetoes a bill without the Public Option. It's up to us to put that piece of paper under his pen. Sorry!

<< Home